.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The British Writers Voice in Middletons The Lie of the Land :: Language Culture British Papers

The British Writers Voice in Middletons The Lie of the LandAs I read Hayden Middletons The Lie of the Land, I became increasingly aware that I was not only hearing the writers representative coming through, but that it was a distinctly British writers voice. There were nomenclature and phrases that marked the text as being decidedly not American. Yet, as I became accustomed to the writers voice, I became less and less conscious of the phrasal idiom and alone involved with the story. In reading the story a sulphur time, this time paying special attention to these variances, I was surprised at how many differences there actually were. What follows is a list of the words and phrases I name, on which page of The Lie of the Land I first comprise them (or, in some cases, where I finally decided that they were a core of a British writers voice rather than just the writers voice), and what I believed would be an acceptable American choice. Where indicated, these American translations were confirmed in the book sympathy British English Bridging the Gap Between the English Language and Its American Counterpart, by Margaret E. Moore (quoted definitions are as found in this resource). In cases where I wasnt sure of the meaning and no translation was provided in Moores book, I consulted Websters Dictionary. sometimes I had to guess (these are marked with question marks on either side of the translation). A few times I couldnt even give a fair guess these I leftover as question marks. At times I also found it difficult to determine whether the choices were due to the author being British, or whether they were simply choices that may have been made regardless of the authors nationality. At those times I was guided by instinct.PAGE British Word/Phrase American Word/Phrase Confirmed? 5 tap faucet yes

No comments:

Post a Comment